The Last Days of Quaid-e-Azam


In the second half of July, 1948 when the Quaid’s health worsened, Col. Illahi Bukhsh was sent to treat him. On the advice of his doctors the Quaid agreed to be shifted to Quetta on the 13 August, 1948. In Quetta, his health improved, but by the first of September his health began to deteriorate.

The Quaid resting in Ziarat.

On 5th September, the doctors examining his sputum found signs of pneumonia and his blood showed evidence of acute infection. Struggling to breathe, the Quaid was given oxygen and arrangements were made to move him to Karachi. On 11 September, 1948, he arrived at Mauripur Airbase, Karachi. The Quaid was carried in a stretcher into a military ambulance, which broke down on the way.

Viking Aircraft bringing Quaid-e-Azam from Quetta to Karachi.

“We were still near enough to the refugee camp, and the mud, to be pestered with hundreds of flies. I found a piece of cardboard and fanned Mr. Jinnah’s face, to keep the flies away. I was alone with him for a few minutes… He moved his arm… and placed his hand on my arm. He did not speak, but there was such a look of gratitude in his eyes. His soul was in his eyes at that moment.”

Sister Phyllis Dunham (the nurse who attended Jinnah in the Ambulance) Siddiqui, Z. The Quaid’s tragic last hours, Zubeida Mustafa Website.

“At 10.10 p.m. that day, the doctor, in order to make him fight the illness, said, ‘Quaid-e-Azam, you are going to live.’  ‘No, I am, not’ said the Quaid-e-Azam prophesying his end, and within 15 minutes he was no more.”

The Father of the Nation laid to rest, September 13, 1948.

Remembering Jinnah

Through the Eyes of Fatima Jinnah


The Quaid-e-Azam is no more. He lived so that Pakistan may come into being. He died so that Pakistan may live. Pakistan Zindabad

Fatima Jinnah, 14 August 1949


“…his catastrophic malady took deeper roots, and at last over-powered him, to the total disregard of the tears and torments, not only of his forlorn and lone sister, but millions, who would have preferred with her, to tear their heart away, if that alone could spare him for his people and his nation.”

Fatima Jinnah
Bakhsh, I. (Lt. Colonel) MD, ‘With the Quaid-i-Azam during his last days’, OUP


“As I see the mausoleum in Karachi go upward, inch by inch, to shelter the mortal remains of my brother, poignant memories come rushing into mind of that day, a Saturday, the 11th of September 1948, when I lost my elder brother, and my nation became an orphan… having been his constant companion for more than forty years.”

Jinnah, F. (ed. By Sharif Al Mujahid) ‘My Brother’ Quaid e Azam Academy, 1985.
September 12, 1948: Fatima, Dina and others mourning at Jinnah’s coffin.

Through the Eyes of Dina Wadia


Muhammad Ali Jinnah, Founder of Pakistan, passed away on 11th September 1948. Dina was invited by Liaquat Ali Khan. A chartered plane was sent for Dina to Bombay by him from Karachi. Dina Wadia was seen mourning at her father’s funeral. She returned immediately after her father’s death, which was also her first visit to Pakistan.


“Oh, it was massive. I’ve never heard so many people cry — I mean most, but in the mourning and crying and flowers, there were thousands and thousands of lakhs of people, but that was to be expected. Remember that Pakistan had only been going for a year or something, so it was very emotional.”

Express Tribune: Remembering Dina by Akber Ahmed, 7 November 2017


“This has been very sad and wonderful for me. May his dream for Pakistan come true.” 

wrote Dina Wadia in the visitors’ book, during the 50-minute stay at the Quaid-e-Azam’s mausoleum on March 26, 2004.
September 12, 1948: Fatima and Dina during Quaid’s funeral